All visitors to the Caribbean, including those from the United States and Canada, need to carry a valid passport for entry into, and departure out of, the British Virgin Islands.
Visitors from some countries may also require a visa for entry. If in doubt about the necessity of a visa, contact the nearest BVI Tourist Board Office, the nearest British Embassy, or the Chief Immigration Officer, Immigration Department, BVI Government at (284) 494-3471 or (284) 468-3701 (ext. 2538).

For more information on the passport requirements from the US and Canada, please visit the following web sites:
In the US:
In Canada:

Yacht Clearance
If you plan to exit and then re-enter the British Virgin Islands during your sailing vacation, please be certain to follow the proper procedures for clearing your yacht and crew with both BVI Customs and Immigration.

The ports of entry and exit are located at:

  • Road Harbour, Tortola
  • West End Harbour, Tortola
  • Gun Creek, North Sound, Virgin Gorda
  • Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke
  • St. Thomas Bay, Virgin Gorda

Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
Saturday, 8:30am to 12:30pm
Closed Sundays and on BVI public holidays

After-hours clearing may be arranged in advance; additional fees will apply. Call Customs at (284) 494-3475 and Immigration at (284) 494-3701 (ext. 2538) to make after-hours arrangements.

Your captain may clear all crew, provided he or she has all of the required documentation. This includes valid passports for each crewmember as well as ship's documentation. Prior to leaving the charter base, be sure this item is aboard if you plan to leave BVI waters.

You must clear into the territory you plan to visit. Don't forget to stop again at any of the above listed BVI ports of entry on your return to the British Virgin Islands.

If visiting the USVI, you may clear in at Cruz Bay, St. John or Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. If you are neither a US nor Canadian citizen, and are entering the USVI waters on anything other than a commercial carrier (ferry, airline, etc.), you must obtain a visitor's visa. Visitors from the UK and all other countries should consult their local US Embassy prior to arrival in the British Virgin Islands to determine what is required to obtain the proper visas for crew wishing to exit the BVI by yacht.

BVI Cruising Tax/Permits
A Cruising Permit is required for all boats cruising in the British Virgin Islands. If you have chartered a boat in the BVI, the charter company should be able to provide you with the necessary information and/or permits. If you have any further questions regarding current cruising permit requirements, contact your charter company or the British Virgin Islands Customs Department at (284) 494-3475 or (284) 468-3701 (ext. 2533).


Not seeing your preferred December holiday travel dates available on our reservations page? Make sure to call our Travel Planners direct at 800-872-2392 for up to the minute availability.

Book Online

Get the Signal

Sign up for Bitter End's news and special offers